Self-Defense Videos For Any Progressive Social Justice Activists
“Everything becomes more and more polarized. People’s positions become entrenched, and soon enough cast in stone. No one converts to the other side. This can only end in one way–violence. Every country will be consumed by Civil War. The war always begins as a “Culture War”, which can go on for decades, making government impossible. And when government breaks down, the age of the Caesars begins. Physical war erupts, just as it did in Caesar’s time. The Age of the Strong Man begins. Are you ready for the real Game of Thrones? That TV show is not entertainment, it’s prophecy. Who’s laughing now?”–From the book The Cosmic Jest: The Joke’s On Us, by Mark Romel, aka The Pythagorean Illuminati.
Hello, my name is Brad Gumm and I have practiced martial arts for over thirty years. I am a black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Rigan Machado and Dave Ruiz. I am a black belt in Butokukan Karate under Mike Crump. I trained for years in Judo under coach Tom Fletcher. I am an expert in Muay Thai Kickboxing and trained under Oscar Martinez for many years. I am an expert in Boxing and I received my boxing training form coaches Denny Nelson and Jerome Jackson. I am an expert in wrestling for mixed martial arts, and trained my wrestling for years under coach Vern Baca. I have also practiced to varying degrees Aikido, Krav Maga, Arnis/Kali/Eskrima, Taekwondo, Capoeira, and various weapons.
In 1997 I had my first Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight at the age of nineteen. I actively competed in MMA until 2004, and I ended my competitive career with a record of 22-8-2 with one no contest. Over the course of my MMA career, I competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) on two occasions, both in the year 2000. I fought Shonie Carter in UFC 24, and I fought C.J. Fernandez in UFC 27. In 2004, I stopped competing in MMA so that I could train others. I opened a gym with my soulmate Alicia in 2004 and ran it until 2013. Over that time, Alicia and I taught martial arts to hundreds of people of all different ages and physical abilities, including many professional and amateur MMA fighters.
My Sacred Cause isn’t martial arts though. No, my Sacred Cause lays in the ongoing war for worldwide social justice. I want to win this war, and I want to win it decisively. I want to put a permanent and complete end to exploitation, oppression, slavery, poverty, inequality, intolerance, classism, racism, sexism, and homophobia. I want to destroy the vicious patriarchy that has ruled humanity throughout our entire history, and I want to replace those murderers with the most intelligent, altruistic, and compassionate members of the human race. It is the most intelligent, altruistic, and compassionate of us who should be in total charge of government, the economy, and society in general. This means my Sacred Cause is all about putting an end to the wealthy 1% rulers of our world, their anti-economic system euphemistically called free market capitalism, their lunatic religions of extreme intolerance, hatred, and brutality (i.e. Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.), their inept kakistocracies, their false sciences of materialism and empiricism, and anyone who supports any of this evil bullshit. In short, my Sacred Cause is to play my part in the war for human freedom, i.e. the war against the right-wing slavers. My Sacred Cause is to contribute to this war in the best way that I can.
I have found that, at this time, the best way I can contribute to the war against the 1% is with my expertise in martial arts. In 2008, seeing the need to build some sort of militancy in the overwhelmingly passive left-wing, Alicia and I began teaching free self-defense classes for any progressive social justice activists in our community. We love teaching self-defense to our community members in “real life”, but of course we can only reach a very limited number of people in this way. Using the internet, we can reach many more activist around the world.
The goal is to one day build an unstoppable force of militant and trained social justice activists who will no longer take any form of shit from the right-wing. This force will be the worldwide resurgence of the Jacobin revolutionary spirit, you know, the spirit that fucking GUILLOTINES those who would do humanity and the planet harm. This worldwide force of revolution will be the New Jacobins, and it will be their Sacred Cause to topple the 1% and all the garbage that goes along with it, once and for fucking all. So, along with actually going out and teaching seminars to progressives in our community, Alicia and I are also going to build up a nice library of self-defense videos for progressives around the world to utilize.
To begin, I am throwing this blog post up as a temporary place to post our self-defense videos for any Hyperians, Illuminists, Jacobins, or progressive social justice activists to utilize. Alicia and I are currently working on creating a much more organized, detailed and extensive library of self-defense videos, and I’ll let you know once we are done. But until then I’m going to use this post as the dumping ground for some cool videos.
These first four videos (i.e. the front shoulder roll, back shoulder roll, hip mobility drill, and standing headlock escape) were filmed about five years ago on a tiny little camera. The sound and video quality aren’t great but they will suffice for now. I will also write step by step descriptions out for each video soon to help out with any confusion.
We recently purchased a camera that is of a bit better quality and have been filming new technique videos with it. We will redo these four old videos on the new camera soon. Once each new video is edited we will get them posted up here.
To practice these techniques, all you will need is a partner and a mat of some sort. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, just something soft. You can find cool instructions on the internet for how to create your own mats using inexpensive and easily found materials. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in the comments section below and I’ll answer them asap.
Last thing. Alicia and I are available for free self-defense seminars. If you have a group of progressive activists who would like more training than what is available in our videos, we would be happy to come teach your group self-defense, free of charge. We live in Colorado but have no problem traveling to wherever your group is. We would just ask that our travel expenses are paid, other than that, it would be no cost to you or your group.
Our world is running out of time. Humanity is sinking into the final stages of its deleterious right-wing insanity, and death is now not far off. If the left-wing doesn’t rediscover the fearless, heroic, and militant revolutionary attitude of the great Jacobins, then it is game over for the human race and planet Earth. Fuck that! Let’s all train our minds and bodies hard and become the New Jacobins. Let’s unite together as sisters and brothers of positive liberty, and let’s at long last put a PERMANENT end to the wealthy 1% who rule us and our world for their own selfish gain at the expense of everything.
Until next time, study hard, train smart, and keep fighting the right-wing slavers in any way that you can.
Front Shoulder Roll Warm-Up Video
The front shoulder roll is an excellent exercise to get your body warmed up for training. It’s more than just a warm-up exercise though. It is also an excellent way to protect yourself from an unexpected fall. If you were walking or running and suddenly tripped over something, sending you falling forward face first, then the front shoulder roll is a technique you could use to land safely from the surprise trip and fall.
To make this technique easier to learn, I will write our a short step-by-step description of of it. You can use this description as a supplement to the above video. If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to ask it in the comments section below.
The description of this technique will be with your left leg forward, but remember to practice both sides equally; you never know which way you might fall!
Alright, here we go with the front shoulder roll step-by-step description.
- Step 1: Place your left leg forward and your right leg back.
- Step 2: Bend over and place your right hand on the mat.
- Step 3: Bend your knees slightly and to a comfortable level.
- Step 4: Bend your left arm slightly and bring it between your right arm and your legs (Note: you are not bringing your left arm between your legs, you are bringing it between your other arm and your legs).
- Step 5: As you bring your left arm between your right arm and your legs, slowly roll over your left shoulder as you look behind yourself.
- Step 6: Continue the roll until your forward momentum has ended. Note: As you shoulder roll over your left shoulder, you want your body to be shaped like a circle and you want it to roll across the mat like a wheel.
- Step 7 (Option 1 to end the front shoulder roll): One way to finish this front roll over the left shoulder is to land in a right side Break Fall just as the momentum of the roll ends (Note: The right and left side break fall is described in detail in its own technique video and description that we will post up shortly). Landing in a break fall will help your body absorb the impact of the fall in a safe manner. This will make it far less likely for you to get injured from the fall.
- Step 8 (Option 2 to end the front shoulder roll): A second way to finish the roll over your left shoulder is to tuck your right leg under your body as you come out of the roll and simultaneously place your left leg forward. From here you can use the last remnants of the roll’s momentum to simply stand back up. Note: This second ending is nice if your fall wasn’t too violent, hard, and/or fast. If your fall was extremely fast, this second ending can actually fling your right back on your face as you tuck your right leg and try to stand up, because there was too much initial momentum going forward. If this is the case, i.e. if your fall was very sudden and fast, then the break fall might be a better ending option, or you could even do two or more successive front shoulder rolls to kill the momentum and then tuck the leg and stand up as you come out of the final roll. Once you get the hang of the front shoulder roll, you can then begin to experiment for yourself and practice different types of scenarios and falls you might find yourself in.
Back Shoulder Roll Warm-Up Video
Like the front shoulder roll, the back shoulder roll is an excellent warm-up exercise and it can save your life if you suddenly slip and fall backwards.
The following description will be for a backwards roll over your left shoulder.
- Step 1: We will begin this technique in a seated position.
- Step 2: Turn your head and look to your left shoulder.
- Step 3: Gently push off the mat with your feet and rock backwards.
- Step 4: As you rock back, continue to look at your left shoulder and bring your hips and legs up and over your head (Note: During this step you can add in a back break fall as you rock back, right before your hips begin to lift off the mat; the back break fall is described in its own video).
- Step 5: As your hips and legs begin to come over your head, lean your weight slightly towards your left shoulder (Note: The goal here is to shift your weight as you roll so that your body can easily roll over your left shoulder; this way your weight won’t go straight back onto your neck as you roll).
- Step 6: As your hips come over your head and you lean your weight towards your left shoulder slightly, continue to look at your left shoulder and complete the shoulder roll by coming to your knees. Once your’re on your knees you can go ahead and stand up or go back to a seated position for your next back roll.
Once you begin to get the hang of this move, you can make it a little more challenging and realistic if you begin it from a standing position. From a standing position, squat down and then rock back. At this point everything else is the same as the above description. As with all techniques, start out very slow on your back rolls until you begin to feel comfortable with them. Once you feel comfortable you can begin to go a little faster. Be very careful of your neck when practicing back rolls.
Hip Mobility Warm-Up Drill
This hip mobility drill is very important to get the hang of, as you will see it appear over and over again in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and submission grappling/wrestling. It is a key drill that will help you to become very mobile, agile, active, and offensive whenever you are caught on your back. Being on your back during a self-defense situation is never ideal, but if you master this hip mobility drill you will have taken the first step on the very important and challenging journey of being able to effectively defend yourself off of you back.
Please note that there are a few different ways to practice this drill as a warm up. For example, you could practice it as a general body motion or you could practice it simulating a specific technique such as an elbow knee escape for when you are mounted by your opponent (note that I go over a few of the different ways in which this drill can be used in the hip mobility video above). For this written description, I am going to give you step by step instructions for the general hip mobility motion that is applied in many different grappling techniques with minor adjustments depending on technique. So, the following description will be for a generalized hip mobility movement to your left side.
- Step 1: Begin by lying on your back with your arms bent and tucked tight to your body. Your hands should be in front of your chest, under your jaw, and your jaw should be tucked to your clavicle bringing your head up and off of the ground. Your hands should resemble the little arms of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. When I teach kids we call this positioning of the arms: “T-Rex Arms”. Your feet should be tucked up close to your butt and about shoulder width apart.
- Step 2: Use your feet to slightly bridge/lift your hips up, about two to four inches should be enough. Bridging your hips up a little will open up some space, allowing you to move your hips a little bit easier.
- Step 3: Use your legs to push yourself onto your side and over to your left shoulder.
- Step 4: With your left shoulder as a pivot point, use your legs to begin pushing your hips back behind you at about a 45 degree angle. This should begin to move your hips up towards your head.
- Step 5: Continue to push your hips back with your feet until your knees and elbows connect together. You should now be in what resembles a fetal position on your left side. Make sure that your head is still off of the ground. This is the end position for the left side hip mobility drill.
- Step 6: From here you can continue the drill by rolling to your back once again.and resetting your body back to step 1. To continue the drill, simply perform steps 1-5 again but this time reverse and go to your right shoulder and side.
Standing Headlock Defense Self-Defense Technique
Wrestling Shot Warm-Up Drill
Side-To-Side Break Fall Warm-Up Drill
Backwards Break Fall Warm-Up Drill
Across Side Escape Warm-Up Drill
ONTOLOGICAL MATHEMATICS, PYTHAGOREANISM, ILLUMINISM, HYPERIANISM, AND JACOBINISM FOR ALL AND FOREVER!!!
Important Links For Ontological Mathematicians, New Jacobins, Hyperians, Progressive Left-Wingers, Rationalists, Pythagorean Illuminists, And Anyone Else Fighting For Social Justice And A Better Future For All Of Humanity
The website that introduced humanity to the Truth of the universe: http://armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/
The sacred and revolutionary books of Hyperrationalism, Pythagoreanism, Ontological Mathematics, Social Capitalism, 100% Inheritance Tax, Left Wing Meritocracy, Jacobinism, and SO much more. These are the books that contain the blueprint for a New World Order based on the ontological mathematical Truth of existence. They are Truly the only books that the hard/progressive/rational left need to read:
The books by Mike Hockney: https://www.amazon.com/Mike-Hockney/e/B004KHR7DC/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1487979156&sr=8-1
The books by Adam Weishaupt: https://www.amazon.com/Adam-Weishaupt/e/B004LXB8GW/ref=ntt_aut_sim_2_1
The books by Michael Faust: https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Faust/e/B004LXBBUA/ref=ntt_aut_sim_2_1
The Pythagorean Illuminati have recently released many new books under a few new pseudonyms. Here is a quick article I wrote that contains links to the new books and author names: https://sacredcause.com/2017/04/06/a-list-of-new-books-written-by-the-pythagorean-illuminati/
Diabolically Informative: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRr9mh4Z9xiW4F9rC59jdEQ
The Meritocracy Site: https://www.meritocrats.org/
Facebook contact page for the Pythagorean Illuminati: https://www.facebook.com/pythagorean.illuminati/
Hyperianism is a beautiful system of thought based on ontological mathematics. If you seek to lift yourself and all of humanity up to a higher, happier, more fulfilled, more rational, and more compassionate level of existence, then become a Hyperian. Learn more at this amazing website: https://www.hyperianism.com/
A brand new website dedicated to the books by Mike Hockney, Adam Weishaupt, and Micheal Faust. This site was created by people who had their lives changed by the only True religion: Pythagoreanism/ontological mathematics. The purpose of this site is to help bring Pythagoreanism into the public consciousness. The group who created the site is called The Apollo Institute of Reason (AIR). Here is a link: http://themeritocracyparty.net/
The amazing Khan Academy website (completely free to use). This site will take you from elementary mathematics all the way through calculus and beyond. I can’t say enough about this site. If you are a burgeoning ontological mathematician like I am, then this is the site for you: https://www.khanacademy.org/
Patrick JMT (just math tutoring) also completely free to use: An excellent site that will add even more to what you are learning on Khan Academy. Some of Patrick’s awesome math videos are now a part of Khan Academy’s math curriculum too! Check it out:
Some very cool blogs, YouTube channels, and websites that are inspired by Pythagoreanism, Hyperianism, Jacobinism, and Ontological Mathematics. Check them out:
Links to the amazing work of Peter Joseph, Jacque Fresco, The Zeitgeist Movement, and The Venus Project. The world that these great people are working to create is the same kind of world ontological mathematics is working to create: